Parks and Reserves
Council has a number of Parks and Reserves available for the general recreation of residents and the general public.
Parks and Reserves in the District
Parks and Reserves in the Ōtorohanga community:
- Ōtorohanga Domain (sports ground for cricket and soccer)
- Island Reserve (sports ground for rugby)
- Windsor Park (active recreational area - children's playground)
- Reg Brett Reserve (skateboard facility and basketball court)
- Huiputea Reserve (lake and walkways)
- Rotary Park / Bob Horsfall Reserve (walkways)
There are also a few small, passive ornamental or historic reserves, these include:
- World War I Park (housing the Community's war memorials)
- World War II Park
- Bret McKenzie Reserve
Parks and Reserves in the Kāwhia community:
- Foreshore and Omimiti Reserves, which includes a children's playground and skateboard facilities
- Kāwhia Domain (used for sports)
In addition to these areas for active recreation in the urban communities, there are a number of other small, passive reserves in the rural areas.
- Tom French Grove
- Te Puiti on SH31
Organised Events on Council Reserves
It is possible to obtain permission to hold events on some Reserves, provided that the nature and timing of the event is appropriate.
Enquiries should be directed to Council's Customer Services team.
Camping on reserves is generally not permitted.
Ōtorohanga District Council administers a number of parks and reserves which the people of the district are able to enjoy for education and recreational purposes.
The land is managed by Council under the Reserves Act 1977.
Under the Act, the Council can:
- allow certain games, sports and other recreational activities to take place.
- permit temporary events, including entry charges.
- erect structures and buildings as necessary to support outdoor recreation.
- allow campgrounds, parking and mooring places.
- grant leases for camping, outdoor recreation activities, building and structures that enable the public to obtain greater benefit and enjoyment of the reserve.
Note: Horses are not allowed on Council reserves.