Keyword: #stockcontrol

Stock Control
Whakahaere Kararehe

If you own stock, poultry or bees, there are rules you need to be aware of in relation to having them in urban areas and moving them to minimise risk and protect public health. Here's what you need to know.

Stock Control

There are large quantities of various stock and other animals in the District.

In order to avoid issues of nuisance and to protect public health, Council enforces some control relating to these animals.

These controls are enforced through the following two Bylaws.

Keeping of Stock, Poultry and Bees Bylaw

This Bylaw requires that stock, poultry or bees are not kept within the Ōtorohanga and Kāwhia urban communities as they may cause a nuisance.

Stallions or roosters, particularly, may not be kept in these communities.

This Bylaw also requires that dead stock or poultry are disposed of in a prompt and appropriate manner within the boundaries of the Ōtorohanga and Kāwhia communities.

View Keeping of Stock, Poultry and Bees Bylaw

Stock Movement Bylaw

The Stock Movement Bylaw provides the rules around moving stock within the District to ensure the safety of ALL road users, and to reduce damage to roadways.

Farmers are reminded that under the Bylaw the following conditions must always be satisfied when moving stock:

  • Stock or stock movers must be visible to road users at a distance of at least 100 metres at all times;
  • Movements shall not exceed 600 head of cattle or 3000 head of sheep at any one time;
  • There must be a minimum of two persons controlling the stock for up to 100 head of cattle and one additional person per additional 100 head or part thereof above this number.
  • Stock must be under full control at all times;
  • Stock movement must not unreasonably impede traffic;
  • Signage or flashing lights must be in place before and after the mob.

In the following cases a Council permit and bond is required:

  • The mob exceeds 300 head of cattle or 1000 head of sheep; or
  • The distance to be driven exceeds 10 km in a day; or
  • The average daily traffic count on a road being used is more than 1000 vehicles per day (currently, the only local road in the district that has more than this is part of Wharepuhunga Rd)

For stock crossings and underpasses, the Stock Movement Bylaw also states:

  • That all stock crossings must be registered with Council and kept in a clean and tidy condition at all times; and
  • The circumstances under which stock underpasses are required.

A number of new underpasses have been built in the district recently, providing a greater measure of safety for all road users.

The Stock Movement Bylaw outlines the regulations relating to moving stock along or across public roads.

Main provisions of the Bylaw are:

  • Imposition of controls on any movements of stock along or across roads in the Ōtorohanga District (except in the case of an escape).
  • Establishing Drovers Permits to authorise and control stock movements along roads that are large in the number of animals and/or the distance travelled.
  • Requirement for the construction of underpasses for stock movements where movement is frequent and of a high volume.

According to the Impounding Act 1995, Council may impound stock that are wandering or trespassing.

For details on the fees and charges applying to impounded stock, please visit: Stock Control Fees and Charges

Council's Bylaws do not specifically relate to issues of animal welfare, but if contacted in relation to such matters, Council will provide assistance by contacting relevant authorities or otherwise addressing the matter.

Contact the SPCA in relation to matters of animal welfare.

View Stock Movement Bylaw

Emergency Situations

Stock wandering on roads or in other public places can, in some cases, represent a significant threat to public safety.

In such cases, Council can be contacted directly, 24 hours a day.


Permits are required for:

  • droving large numbers of farm stock along public roads.
  • farm stock regularly crossing public roads.

These permits are not intended to limit the movement of stock, but are required to ensure that this occurs in a manner that will not cause unnecessary nuisance or hazards to other road users.

Council may, in some cases, require an underpass to be installed as an alternative to frequent large-scale stock crossings. A limited subsidy may be provided to assist in the construction of underpasses.

Read text aloud