Keyword: #otherlicensing

Other Licensing
Ētehi Atu Raihana

Some other types of businesses that don't deal with food or alcohol but where there is a potential risk to public health still need a licence to operate. This includes things like hairdressers and barbers, funeral directors and mortuaries, offensive trades, mobile and travelling shops, hawkers and itinerant traders. These licences are called 'Other Licences' and here's what you need to know.

When do you need an 'Other' licence?

Local authorities have a statutory responsibility to improve, protect and promote public health, including the registration and inspection of a number of different types of premises such as:

  • Hairdressers and Barbers (Health (Hairdressers) Regulations 1980)
  • Funeral Directors and Mortuaries (Health (Burial) Regulations 1946)
  • Offensive Trades (Health Act 1956)
  • Mobile and Travelling Shops, Hawkers and Itinerant Traders (Bylaws)

Operators of any of the above are required to comply with the relevant regulations. Council's Environmental Health Officer can provide more information on these requirements.

Applications for these licences are processed through the Business Connect portal. What is business connect?

Application Forms

  • Licence to trade in a public place
  • Registration of a premise under the Health Act
Read text aloud