Keyword: #electionvoters

Election Information for Voters
Ngā Mōhiohio Pōtitanga mā Ngā Kaipōti

In this section you'll find all the details you need as a voter in our local elections on how to enrol to vote, chosing a roll to enrol with, ratepayer elector eligibility, how to vote and special voting.


To vote in these elections, you must be enrolled. By law, you must enrol if you’re eligible, but enrolling so you can vote is a much better reason!

You can enrol to vote in the General Roll or the Maori Roll if:

  • you are 18 years or older,
  • You are a New Zealand citizen
  • you are a permanent resident, and you’ve lived in New Zealand continuously for 12 months or more at some time in your life. 

If you’re already enrolled, make sure your details are up to date - it’ll take two minutes. 

Choosing a roll to enrol with

It’s your choice. We’ll lay out the facts for you, and leave it to you to decide which roll you enrol in.  

The General Roll

  • Anyone can be on the General Roll
  • You’ll vote for candidates in your district ward, and the mayor

The Māori Roll

  • People with Māori ancestry can choose to go on the Māori Roll
  • This is a District ward – which means that you can vote for this ward, no matter where you live in Ōtorohanga.
  • There are two seats in the Māori Ward.
  • You will also vote for the mayor.

General elections 

It’s important to keep in mind that the choice you make when enrolling will also affect how you vote in national elections. If you choose the Māori Roll now, you will also be enrolled on the Māori Roll for the next general election in 2026, and you will vote for candidates in your Māori Electorate (instead of the General Electorate).  

Changing your mind 

Once you choose a roll, you won’t be able to change it until the next Māori Electoral Option, which occurs after a population census, usually every five years. The next Māori Electoral Option is in 2024. So, whichever roll you choose now will also be your decision for the 2026 general election.  

Making your decision 

If you can’t decide which roll to choose, it might help to talk it over with friends and whānau. 
When you’ve decided, take five minutes to enrol online. 

Ratepayer elector

You may also be eligible to enrol as a non-resident ratepayer elector in our district if both these apply:

  • You are in the district valuation roll and pay rates to Ōtorohanga District Council
  • The address where you are registered as a Parliamentary elector is outside Ōtorohanga District

Your eligibility to enrol or be nominated as a ratepayer elector may also depend in your individual circumstances as determined by criteria in the Local Electoral Act 2001 and its regulations.

If you believe you meet the criteria to enrol as a ratepayer elector, please read and complete the form.

Ratepayer Enrolment Form

How to vote

If you are enrolled to vote, your voting documents will be delivered to your mailbox during the election period.

Your voting pack will include a candidate profile book, personalised voting papers, freepost return envelope, and instructions on how to complete your voting papers.

Once you have filled in your voting papers, put them in the freepost envelope and do one of the following:

  1. Post your voting papers back by the deadline
  2. Drop off your voting papers at our office, 17 Maniapoto Street, Ōtorohanga 

Votes must be received by the Electoral Officer by the close of voting.

Posting your voting papers

You can post your voting papers at any NZ Post box using the freepost envelope provided.

Special Voting

You will need to cast a special vote if:

  • you have not enrolled to vote by the deadline but you qualify as ratepayer elector
  • you do not receive your voting papers, or you receive your papers but they are damaged or spoiled
  • you are going to be overseas during the election period
  • you are on the unpublished roll

You can either pick up your special voting pack from our office, 17 Maniapoto Street, Ōtorohanga or we can post it to you. The completed voting papers must be returned to the Electoral Officer in the envelope supplied.

Please contact council if you need any further information.


Read text aloud