Building Consents - concerns and complaints

What happens if I am unhappy about any decisions made by Ōtorohanga District Council (the Building Consent Authority) with regard to my building consent?

A customer has the right to appeal or to complain about any building control function the Building Consent Authority undertakes.

How do I make a complaint?

A complaint must be provided in writing. You can make a complaint in person, though you must also provide a written copy.  Complaints not made in writing, or made anonymously, will not be actioned. 

These should be sent to:

Manager Building Control

Ōtorohanga District Council

PO Box 11

Ōtorohanga 3900

Email:  [email protected] 

What information do we need?

  • Your name and contact details.
  • The date the incident occurred.
  • The nature of the complaint.
  • Copies of any supporting information (if applicable).
  • Relationship (customer, regulator, or stakeholder).

How long does it take?

All complainants will be responded to within three working days of receipt of the complaint, at which time you may be asked to provide further information, or whether you wish to be formally heard with regard to the complaint.

All complaints will be actioned within 10 working days of receipt of complaint, unless a request for further information is made.

What else can I do?

If you’re unhappy or choose to use an alternative route to settle a matter of doubt or dispute, you may apply to the Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment for a determination.