To vote in these elections, you must be enrolled. By law, you must enrol if you’re eligible, but enrolling so you can vote is a much better reason!

You can enrol to vote in the General Roll or the Maori Roll if:

  • you are 18 years or older,
  • You are a New Zealand citizen
  • you are a permanent resident, and you’ve lived in New Zealand continuously for 12 months or more at some time in your life. 

If you’re already enrolled, make sure your details are up to date – it’ll take two minutes. 


Choosing a roll to roll with

It’s your choice. We’ll lay out the facts for you, and leave it to you to decide which roll you enrol in.  

The General Roll

  • Anyone can be on the General Roll
  • You’ll vote for candidates in either East or West Ward, and the mayor.
  • There are six seats in each ward.

The Maori Roll

  • People with Maori ancestry can choose to go on the Maori Roll
  • This is a District ward – which means that you can vote for this ward, no matter where you live in Ōtorohanga.
  • There are two seats in the Maori Ward.
  • You will also vote for the mayor.


General elections 

It’s important to keep in mind that the choice you make when enrolling will also affect how you vote in national elections. If you choose the Maori Roll now, you will also be enrolled on the Maori Roll for the next general election in 2023, and you will vote for candidates in your Maori Electorate (instead of the General Electorate).  

Changing your mind 

Once you choose a roll, you won’t be able to change it until the next Maori Electoral Option, which occurs after a population census, usually every five years. The next Maori Electoral Option is in 2024. So, whichever roll you choose now will also be your decision for the 2023 general election.  

Making your decision 

If you can’t decide which roll to choose, it might help to talk it over with friends and whaanau. 

When you’ve decided, take five minutes to enrol online. 


Ratepayer Elector

You may also be eligible to enrol as a non-resident ratepayers elector in a council district if both these apply:

  • You are in the district valuation roll and pay rates in the council district
  • The address where you are registered as a Parliamentary elector is outside that council district.

Your eligibility to enrol or be nominated as a ratepayer elector may also depend in your individual circumstances as determined by criteria in the Local Electoral Act 2001 and its regulations.

If you believe you meet the criteria to enrol as a ratepayer elector, please read and complete the below form.